Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Are identical twins truly identical?

Identical twins are very commonly identified as being identical in looks. What makes them so special? Unlike regular children, identical twins are born every 1 in 350 births. Identical twins are also fertilized as one egg that eventually separates into two separate babies from the same genetic information. Since identical twins are from one egg and one sperm with one set of identical information, one can assume that twins are identical in every way, but they are not.

In a study conducted at the University of Alabama, a geneticist and his coworkers studied and compared multiple sets of identical twins DNA. In the study, some of the identical twins DNA differed at various points along their genetic genome. The study concluded that in some cases one twin had a gene that coded for a disease while the other twin was free of the harmful disease. The study states that the changes in the DNA can occur while developing or it may be through mutations.

Overall, this article was very interesting. As a fraternal twin, my brother and I look and act completely different but we are not identical which has always been a reason of why we are that way. However, every identical twin I know are completely different in their attitudes, like my brother and I, and in some cases their looks vary slightly. This article answered my questions that have never been answered.

primary article: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/identical-twins-genes-are-not-identical/ 

5 comments:

  1. I am also a fraternal twin! My sister and I are polar opposites as well, ESPECIALLY in personalities. I actually assumed identical twins weren't as similar as they appeared because fraternal twins aren't that similar either. However, this study is pretty cool because it backed up my assumptions that I made prior to readying the article...very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know plenty of twins, fraternal and identical, that act nothing alike. However, I also know siblings who are years apart that look and act like identical twins. In fact they've been mistaken for twins on a few occasions. Also, identical twins who are brother and sister have always confused me a little. I've been under the impression that identical twins are identical because they come from the same set of sperm and egg so I think it's interesting how identical twins can be the opposite sex sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having met several twins and been friends with many, I have come to realize the vast amount of differences that fraternal and identical twins have. Personalities, interests, and many other attributes always seem to be completely different amongst twins and this post helps explain why this is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky thats really cool. Like you and your sister, my brother and I are completely different in looks and personalities. Kelsey, I also know siblings that are far apart in age but look identical. It is amazing what genetics can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very interesting. I always thought identical twins were exactly alike. I have not come across many twins though. I learned something new. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete